Since 1986, my paintings have been juried into a very long list of International, National, Regional and Local Watercolor Exhibitions across the country and abroad, often garnering awards. Several One Person Exhibitions and many small and large group exhibitions have featured my work. My paintings hang in personal and corporate collections across the country. I have been commissioned to paint several special watercolors for personal and corporate permanent collections.
Selected International, National and Regional Exhibitions of my Paintings
Adirondack's National Exhibition of American Watercolors - 2012
American Watercolor Society – 2011
Arizona Aqueous Exhibition – 1999, 2003, 2007, 2010 Creative Mind Award, 2011
Creative Mind Award, 2012, 2013
Arizona Watercolor Association National Watermedia Exhibition – 1999, 2000, 2008 Merchant Award, 2010
California Watercolor Association – 2002, 2011, 2015
California Watercolor Association Signature Member Show: Watermarks - 2016
International Society of Experimental Artists – 2002 Honorable Mention, 2003, Merit
Award, 2003 Wales, UK Medallion, Centennial of Cardiff, Wales, UK, Medallion,
2004, 2012, 2013- 2014 Sanibel, FL, San Pedro, CA, Wales, UK 2014 Medallion
Kansas Watercolor Society – 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009 Purchase Award, 2014
Keystone National 2012 - Honorable Mention Award and Postcard Image
Mississippi Watercolor Society Grand National Watercolor Exhibition – 2010, 2011,
2013 - 2014
Missouri National 12th Annual Exhibition - 2012
Missouri Watercolor Society International Exhibition - 2016
National Watercolor Society Annual Member Exhibition - 2014
Northwest Watercolor Society Annual Open Juried Exhibition – 2001, 2004, 2005
Northwest Watercolor Society Member Exhibition “Waterworks” – 2006, Elsie Wiener Memorial Award, 2008, 2009
Pennsylvania Watercolor Society – 2000, 2005, 2010
Philadelphia Water Color Society – 1999-2000, 2002, 2005, 2013
Pikes Peak Watercolor Society – 1999, 2001, 2003, 2009, 2011
Pittsburgh Watercolor Society – 1999, 2000, 2003, 2006
Red River Watercolor Society – 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Rockies West National - 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014
Rocky Mountain National Watermedia Exhibition – 1994, 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015
San Diego Watercolor Society – 2001 Merchant Award, 2005, 2014
Southern Colorado Watercolor Society Aquarius National Watermedia Exhibition - 2016
Taos National Watercolor Society Exhibitions – 1995, 1996, 1997, 2006, 2007
Texas Watercolor Society – 2010
Watercolor Art Society – Houston – 2006, 2009
Watercolor USA – 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Watercolor West – 2002, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 Combined Merchandise Award
Western Federation of Watercolor Societies - 1988, 1994, 2002
Watercolor Society Affiliations
American Watercolor Society - Associate Membership - juried into 2011 Exhibition
National Watercolor Society -Associate Membership - juried into 2014 Exhibition
Arizona Juried Exhibition Awards
Arizona Watercolor Association Awards: 2004 Award of Merit, 2001, 2015 Merchant
Award, 1997 Award of Merit, 1994 Merchant Award
Contemporary Watercolorists of Arizona Awards: 2018 Marilyn Schutzky Memorial Award, 2014 Honorable Mention Award, 2008 Merit Award, 2007 Wayne Lanford Memorial Award, 2006 Merchant Award, 2004 Award of Excellence, 2003 Merchant Award, 2000 Award of Excellence, 1998 Merit Award
2018 Hazel Stone’s Curator Solo Exhibition, “LEVELS OF COMMUNICATION,” 35
original watermedia paintings, Herberger Theater Art Gallery, 222 E. Monroe,
Phoenix, AZ May 1 - 30, 2018
2012 - 2013 "CELEBRATION - HAZEL STONE," nineteen watermedia paintings by
Hazel Stone, Church of the Beatitudes, Phoenix, AZ
2007 Solo Exhibition, fifteen watermedia paintings by Hazel Stone at the Cathedral
Center for the Arts, Phoenix, AZ
2007 Solo Exhibition of thirteen watermedia paintings by Hazel Stone, at Fair Trade
Café Gallery, Phoenix, AZ
2004 “CELEBRATION,” fifteen watermedia paintings, Gallerie van Friend, Scottsdale,
1997 “INNOVATIONS AND INVENTIONS: Watermedia Paintings by Hazel Stone,"
"Featured Artist Museum Exhibition," Sun Cities Museum of Art, Sun City, AZ
Two Person Exhibition
December 2, 2011 to January 13, 2012 "From the Hand, Head and Heart: Schutzky and Stone," forty-three watermedia paintings by Marilyn Schutzky and Hazel Stone at the Casa Grande Art Museum, Casa Grande, AZ
2003 "Watermedia Art Exhibit," Hazel Stone and Marilyn Schutzky, Church of the Beatitudes, Phoenix, AZ, April 6 - May 28, 2003
1996 “Spring Magic” Hazel Stone and Lois Meyer at Gallery 19, March 31 - May 5, 1996
1995 "Watercolor Art Exhibit," Hazel Stone and Marilyn Schutzky, Church of the Beatitudes, Phoenix, AZ
My watercolor painting, "Of the Earth" was published in The Southwest Art Magazine in the November 2015 issue. The painting image is 22" x 30", watercolor on paper, $2,400.
"Of the Earth" Image: 22" x 30" Frame: 30 " x 38"
About Hazel Stone
Hazel Stone, Innovative Fine Artist in Watermedia, lives in Phoenix, Arizona. She states, "I have had to forge my own brand of "Who I Am" and "What I Do" for several reasons, not the least of which is to please myself. My painting styles and interests vary from time to time. Over many years of painting with watercolor, acrylics and experimenting with other materials, I have found great pleasure in creating my innovative paintings. For that reason, you will find that my paintings cover several categories.
Stone continues, "I think that a LIFE IN ART could be called a 'Life Journey' since it is a study in self understanding, personal growth, exploration and finding one's own JOY. Any act of self-expression such as painting, writing, public speaking and any creative project provides insight, pleasure, frustration, problem-solving and resolution of the difficulty. Every project has a beginning, middle and an end and there can be challenges that seem difficult. But it is so gratifying to solve the problem and have a satisfying resolution. Painting is not easy, but it doesn't have to be hard!"
"Art needs an audience, so when the creativity and thoughts of the person interacting with the painting are in play, the cycle is completed. The painting becomes more than a painting. The vital connection between the artist and the viewer has been made and the painting has reached its purpose." ~Hazel Stone
"Painting is a visual way of communicating and inviting the viewer on an adventure." ~ Hazel Stone
Arizona News • What is new on the Local Scene for Hazel Stone
• Southern Arizona Arts and Cultural Alliance, MRA Associates' Community Gallery, "Reflections Theme:" "High Country," "Evening Glow" and "Early Thaw."
• Contemporary Watercolorists of Arizona Juried Exhibition, University Club, December 6, 2018 - February 1, 2019, “Juggled Sunshine,” Marilyn Schutzky Memorial Award, Juror: Marty Gibson,
• Arizona Watercolor Association Fall 2018 Exhibition, University Club, 39 E. Monte Vista Road, Phoenix, AZ “… and that’s OK!” and “PASS WORD,” September 6 - November 30, 2018, Juror: Jean Pederson
• Herberger Theater Bob’s Spot, Trees and the Furry Animals that Make Them Their Homes, “Eucalyptus” October 31 - December 5, 2018
• Herberger Theater Bob’s Spot, 222 East Monroe, Phoenix, AZ, Sunrise or Sunset, “It’s a New Day,” September 7 - October 30, 2018
• Seven of my paintings were exhibited at Cox Media Office, October 31 - January 3, 2017.
• "Memories of October and November" curated by Hazel Stone featured work by 23 Arizona artists, at Herberger Theater Art Gallery, October 5 - November 27, 2017.
• Hazel Stone - Featured Artist for September 2017 at Herberger Gallery @ the Arizona Center.
• My painting, "Caught in a Dream," hung at Shemer Art Center, 5005 E. Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ, June 6 - July 13, 2017 with the Contemporary Watercolorists of Arizona Juried Exhibition.
• "Duck Soup" was exhibited in the "Edgy Art Exhibit" April 21 - June 8, 2017 at the Herberger Gallery @ the Arizona Center.
• The Waterworks Artists were featured in a group exhibition, "Fragments 2017," at Vision Gallery, 10 East Chicago Street, Chandler, AZ, March 24 to May 20, 2017.
• "Look Closely" was exhibited in the "Tiny Art Exhibit" at the Herberger Gallery @ the Arizona Center, January 20 - March 9, 2017.
• My "SWEET POTATO PIE" was included in the "HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS" exhibit at the Herberger Gallery @ the Arizona Center.
• "Through the Garden was included into the Juried Contemporary Watercolorists of Arizona Exhibition at the Burton Barr Library Art Gallery, November 1 - November 29, 2016.
• My painting, "Here I Go!" was exhibited in the University Club exhibition sponsored by Herberger Theater, October 3 - December 1, 2016.
• "Leonardo" was included in the Arizona Watercolor Association Fall 2016 Membership Exhibition, Scottsdale Artist School, September 7 - October 15, 2016.
• "Is There Still Life in the Studio?" was given Honorable Mention Award by the Arizona Art Supply in their "Tools of the Trade" competition.
• My painting, "Prismatic Ambience," was included in the Arizona Watercolor Association Membership Show, January 7 to February 5, 2016, West Valley Arts Gallery, 16126 N. Civic Center, Surprise, AZ.
• A small watercolor painting, “Crenellations” by Hazel Stone was hung in the Contemporary Watercolorists of Arizona Exhibition at the West Valley Art Museum, September 28 to November 12, 2015 in the Peoria City Hall Art Gallery, 8401 West Monroe Street, Peoria, AZ.
• My painting, "ALTER IDEM," was included in the Arizona Watercolor Association Fall 2014 Member Exhibition in the Peoria City Hall Art Gallery, from September 29 to October 30, 2014.
• A portion of my painting "Classical Concert" was added to the Herberger Theater Art Center Website http://www.herbergertheater.org/art-gallery/ to celebrate their current 25th Anniversary in 2014.
• In the Herberger Theater and Art Center Auction, two of my paintings were sold.
• My painting, "Paths of Wisdom" was juried into the Arizona Watercolor Association exhibition and was exhibited from October 1 to November 1, 2013.
National News • What's New on the National Scene for Hazel Stone
• Society of Watercolor Artists, "Indomitable Spirit" UNT Health Science Center Atrium Gallery, Fort Worth, TX, November 2 - 20, 2019, Juror, Judi Betts.
• Northwest Watercolor Society Signature Member Exhibition, July 11 - October 6, 2019, Washington State Convention Center, Seattle, WA, "Complex Connections I and II" diptych.
• "Conversations Over Lunch" was exhibited in the Watercolor West 50th Anniversary Juried International Exhibition at City of Brea Art Gallery, October 13 - December 16, 2018, received Combined Merchandise Award.
• "OPEN 893" was exhibited in the Watercolor West 49th International Juried Exhibition, October 14 - December 17, 2017, City of Brea Art Gallery, Brea, CA.
• "Change is in the Wind" was in the 2016 Watercolor West International Juried Exhibition, City of Brea Art Gallery, October 15 - December 18, 2016.
• "Jackson's Playdate" was juried into the Southern Colorado Watercolor Society Aquarius National Watermedia Exhibition, Pueblo, CO, August 20 - November 5, 2016. Juror: Lynda Baker.
• In the California Watercolor Association Signature Member Show: Watermarks, my painting, "OPEN 893" was juried by Mike Bailey.
• "ACANTHUS" was included in the Missouri Watercolor Society Exhibition.
• In the Watercolor West 47th International Juried Exhibition, my watercolor painting, "PASS WORD" hung at the City of Brea Art Gallery, October 17 - December 13, 2015.
• "OPEN 893" was chosen as a "Finalist" in The Artist's Magazine Annual Art Competition and will be listed in the January 2016 issue, then Online.
• "AMERICA! AMERICA!", my full sheet watercolor crossword puzzle painting, was honored to hang in the "Saluting Our Wounded Warriors & Veterans" exhibition at the Fallbrook Art Center, June 28 - August 30, 2015.
• "PASS WORD" was given Honorable Mention status in the Art Competitions Online Competition in the Abstract II category. See art-competition.net.
• In the Arteide Catalogue 2015, my painting, ". . . and that's OK!" is in the Online Catalogue, see for the next year.
• In The Artist's Magazine's 31st Annual Art Competition, "MEMO" was chosen as a "Finalist" in the Abstract/Experimental Category, juried by Katharine Chang Liu. I was listed as a finalist in the December 2014 issue of the magazine.
• For the San Diego Watercolor Society 34th International Exhibition, "Renovation Remnants" was chosen by juror Skip Lawrence to hang in the SDWS Gallery during the month of October, 2014.
• In the 41st Annual Rocky Mountain National 2014 Watermedia Exhibition, my painting, "Conversations Over Lunch," was chosen by juror, Linda Doll, to be exhibited in the Foothills Art Center, Golden, CO, during the fall of 2014, September 13 to October 26, 2014.
• In the National Watercolor Society All Member Exhibition 2014, my painting, "Levels of Communication", was exhibited in the NWS Gallery, San Pedro, CA from June 7 to August 17, 2014.
• My painting, ". . . and that's OK!" was chosen as a "Finalist" in The Artist's Magazine "Over 60 Competition" and listed in the March 2014 issue of the magazine.
• In the Mississippi Watercolor Society 28th Grand National Exhibition, my painting "Jackson's Playdate" was exhibited from October 5, 2013 to January 5, 2014 at the Mississippi Museum of Art.
• For the Western Colorado Watercolor Society Rockies West National Exhibition, my painting "Down to the Letter," was exhibited in Grand Junction, CO.
• My painting "Here I Go!" was juried into the Philadelphia Water Color Society exhibition, September 11 to October 25, 2013.
• For the Rocky Mountain National 2013 Watermedia exhibition at the Foothills Art Center, Golden, CO, my painting " ... and that's OK!" was exhibited from September 21 to November 3, 2013.
Portfolio | The Jurors’ Choice
By: Southwest Art | January 2, 2016
Hazel Stone | Finalist | Abstract and Experimental
What are you trying to convey in this artwork? OPEN 893 is a visual puzzle with many layers of interlocking and interrelating shapes and colors, plus words and numeric and symbolic messages. We spend time figuring out what it means to us. Words and numbers stimulate left-brain function, while images and color activate the right brain.
What is your creative process like? Working directly on watercolor paper, I plan, design, change, and paint. I explore connections, combinations, and layers of ideas. Often I have no preconceived idea of what the completed painting will be and am happily surprised by the result.
What do you feel makes your work unique? I use abstraction, symbolism, simplification, repetition, and unusual palette choices. Geometric shapes, often circles and squares, appear in my work as major components or minor accents. Line work—always an important element—connects, breaks up, or separates the parts, providing an endless variety of visual paths for the viewer’s eyes to take as they travel around the painting. With strong color in complementary or analogous color schemes, the color placement and color vibration is important, along with light and dark values.
Where can collectors find your work?